Tuesday 12 February 2013

It's red with cats and dogs

This post is about making a quilt for a 10 year old boy who really knows what he likes and what he wants. First, it has to be red. Second, it has to be funny. Third, it has to be warm.
It took me months to gather all the fabrics. I decided to go red, black and white. The cats fabric was first, it got approved as funny enough. Then it was the one with scottie dogs: black, red and white and we live in Scotland... approved.


And then it got tougher. I did not realize that all this lovely black and white and red fabrics have floral motives, or hearts, or floral motifs. And they appeared to be black and white but in fact were black and  off-white, grrr...
I searched high and low, all the time checking with my boy if he likes what I've found:
Football? Sure.
Dots? Well, ok.
Zebra? Yeah.
Blah blah blah? Great!
Stripes? Ok.
Numbers? Smiley faces? Yeah!
And finally I had all the fabrics I needed. I decided to use rather small 2 inch squares with 4 inch squares in the middle to make this quilt busy, funny and energetic.


There was a lot of hand quilting which I think turned out really nice



 and as usual hand sewing the binding for nice and strong finish.


On the back after consulting with my boy I've used brushed cotton and it really made the quilt warmer and cosier. If you look closely you could see the quilting pattern, well, if in doubt use red and you can go wrong with my boy.


And here it is, used and loved every day since it was finished... no, wait. The quilt was actually used before it was finished, my boy would ask in the evening if there is a needle in it and if it wasn't he'd sleep underneath it, raw edges and all.


All in all - approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment